A feeling of existential dread

The most recent chapter in my ongoing Philip Glass infatuation, I just picked up the Fog of War soundtrack from the library. Nothing ground-breaking, just more of the same old quality Glass.

I thought I'd pass on the following note from Errol Morris, the film-maker, that is found in the liner notes:

"How do you write music for a story that encompasses the 20th Century...? A story that also combines elements of caprice and destiny. And at its center a story that asks whether war is inevitable, unavoidable, part of human nature. This is my third collaboration with Philip Glass, and I cannot think of who else could have written the music. I once told Philip that he creates a feeling of existential dread better than anyone else I knew of. And this is a movie filled with existential dread. I like to think of it as music for the apocalypse, where the apocalypse is not so much the end of the world but just more of what we've seen before, more of the same."

I am reminded of how good of a movie that was. A fantastic example of the impression that a truly artful documentary can make.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm not even really sure that I can talk about "postmodernism" in any real terms because of the huge array of attempted definitions of this school of thought.

Mostly when I talk about postmodern philosophy I'm talking about Derrida.

Miss you already,
Ross