Cardinal Arinze & Co.

Here is an article I arrived at via a roundabout path starting at the blog of an acquaintance from last spring.

Summarizing his 2002 book, The Next Christendom, historian Philip Jenkins makes the sociological case that Christianity is headed for major crisis in the next few hundred years as the bulk of its constituency shifts from Europe and America towards the global south, where hierarchy and communal values are in order, homosexuality is clearly a sin, and Jesus' ministry is interpreted with an emphasis on healing and spiritual warfare.

And as a sidenote, thanks to the King County Library System, whose subscription to ProQuest has enabled me to share this and other articles of note with you. In other, less libraried quarters of the internet it could cost you $5 to read such an article.

2 comments:

Katie B. said...

Hi Tim -

So Brendan Woodward gave me a number that had been disconnected, then he referred me to The Simple Way which led me to your blog. All this to say I wanted to talk to you about what you are doing over in Philadelphia...God is calling me into urban ministry, and so I wanted to kind of pick your brain about the programs that you're working with slash the seminaries in Philly (I'm tentatively applying to Eastern and Westminster)...anyway, if you get a chance, shoot me an email at katiebaumgartner@gmail.com...hope things are good!

Katie B.

tmm said...

Does Phillip Jenkins mention, in the book, a spread east as well? There are an enormous number of Christians in the far east that, perhaps in part because persecution, have retained sense of order, community, and the importance of spiritual warfare and healing.

Something else that I have noted, talking with Christians coming from areas hostile to the faith, is that they are nearly universally hanging on the return of Christ. It makes sense though. ("I hope he comes back soon because my house church leader just got sent to a labor camp, and I think they might be on to me too"). I'm not used to Christians thinking about, or even hoping for, the return of Christ that much.