What do you think?

As reported in The Onion:
The release of The Da Vinci Code, the long-awaited film adaptation of the bestselling novel, is being met with controversy. Larry Brun responds, among others:

Larry does have a point. Mel Gibson's depiction of Satan in The Passion is the other obvious evil albino cameo in recent memory. What is the origin of this bizarre cinematic shorthand for Pure Evil, this tantalizing trace of the fantastically superstitious collective unconscious of middle America?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen The Da Vinci Code, and I am not sure that I even want to. I agree that in The Passion there was an evil albino cameo (Satan). You ask what is the origin of this... pure evil, this .. superstitious collective unconscious of middle America? Satan is hardly a superstitious figure of our imaginations. His origins, tactics, and ultimate undoing are clearly spelled out in the Word. Did I miss something or was Larry's criticism that in both The Passion and The Da Vinci Code the evil personages are albino? Would he feel better if they were a person of color? If Larry did not see a role model portrayed in The Passion (portrayed by James Caviezel), I am not sure if he went to the same movie as I did.

T said...

To clarify, I'm not trying to say that pure evil is a figment of the imagination, but simply raising the question of how it got so vividly coupled with albinos in these recent films.